Scenic beauty is your thing then road trips are a must on your vacation itinerary. It is said that the journey itself becomes the destination as it offers one of its kind experiences. People who love taking cross country road trips can vouch for the adrenaline rush that their journey gave. The destination figures a distance second.
Whether by car or bike, a road trip is a life changing experience for many as not only it allows a person to visit different destinations but also makes life even more interesting what with meeting different people of different regions, tasting varied cuisine and visiting places that do not figure on the map.
Image Credit: express000
The pros at the road trip game provide guidelines for making that road trip a memorable one; whether alone or kids in tow.
Considerations While Travelling By Road:
- Keep Your Vehicle In Great Condition – Road trips to near or far destinations by bike or car require that the vehicle to be used is in great working condition. You would not like the car /bike to breakdown in the middle of nowhere. Make a check list of what part needs replacement or repair. Check for air pressures, grease/oil and fuel levels, motor running conditions, locking systems, GPS if available, insurance and ownership papers to name a few. If possible run a full check on the vehicle to avoid problems at later stage.
- Pack Luggage As Required – Packing too much or too little would mean disaster and expense. Pack your luggage as per the climate of the region you will be passing through or reaching. Preempt the requirements by making a list of things you will need; sorting the things you already have and shopping for things which you do not.
- Know Your Route - Sometimes it is easy to wander off if you are travelling alone. Therefore ensure that you stick to the route and do not be afraid to ask for directions; after taking precautionary measures – do not reveal too much information about yourself to total strangers. If going on trip with the family ensure that they also know the route after consulting maps or GPRS as the case may be.
- Food & Water Supply – Long trips make you very hungry. Pack as much food from home as possible to avoid unnecessary expenses and health scares. Keep your homemade sandwiches, celery sticks, yogurts, dips and salads (cucumber, carrot, tomatoes, olives etc) in a cooler. At the same time add to this list fun and healthy snacks such as whole grain crackers, dry fruits, granola bars, fresh fruits and natural fruit juices to eat when you do not want to eat out. These are also useful when the kids are around. However, longer trips require that you eat at roadside joints/restaurants. Make the best of the menu by selecting items that are health – low calorie, high fiber. Steer away from soda and sweetened juices as they work as diuretics and will dehydrate you sooner than later. Buy bottled water in large quantities to keep dehydration and fatigue at bay.
- Breaks – Continuous driving is not only hazardous but also bad for your back. Take small breaks at two hour intervals to relieve back pain and all the toxins. Persons travelling with children know the importance of providing small breaks for a happy travelling experience. Children are a content lot when they have toys, portable games/dvd players, books/comics or even a favorite blanket/pillow while on a road trip. For babies and toddlers it is specifically recommended that they be strapped to a baby seat and be given small breaks to avoid crankiness.
The joys of travelling by road are beyond compare. A road trip is a great way for the family to come together to share wonderful experiences. It allows the children to see and understand various locales and cultures. It provides enriching experience that creates fond memories to be recalled later over a family dinner.
The author, who has authored health related articles on HGH, acne solution and yoga, is fond of taking road trips and believes that they offer enriching experiences for the entire family.